Friday, August 23, 2013

Lark Harbour to Trout River - the Gros Morne Adventure Begins

After George, Dave and I parted company I headed out on my own to Gros Morne National Park to start exploring more of this magnificent province.

As I headed toward the Viking Trail, I noticed the subtle changes in the landscape.
I was amazed at the diversity in such a short period of time.

The scenery became hilly and filled with gentle sweepers and magnificent views.

Gros Morne National Park of Canada was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1987 and it is stunningly beautiful - stark and imposing and yet...

Gros Morne National Park I spent some time at the Discovery Centre on the edge of Woody Point.  I wanted to get a Viking Trail Pass so that I could take in an abundance of attractions that are covered by the pass and I had been told this was the best place to get it.

The Discovery Centre is also where you can obtain units that allow you to find out more about what you are looking at, at the various stops along the way.  They take your driver's license info and allow you to take the units and drop them off in a drop box when you are done. If you don't drop it off, they have your info so they can reach you and remind you to send it back.

In the centre itself, there are many displays and many of them are interactive and describe the region, the history, the geology, the creatures and the flora and fauna.

On top of the amazing displays that explain the region, there is an abundance of stunning artwork to view and the staff are so helpful and   knowledgeable about the park.





Armed with a park pass, I headed off to do filming and photography and learn about this hauntingly beautiful place.

I rode to Trout River to have my supper as was recommended to me by Dave and George.
Along the way I filmed some of the most amazing scenery and look forward to sharing that with you through our TV show on Eastlink - Ride Like a Local. The Newfoundland episode should air sometime in December - I will also have some footage on Youtube later in December.


Riding through this gorgeous seaside village, I came across the Jacob A. Crocker Heritage House and decided to take a tour before I stopped for supper.  The young lady giving the tour explained that Jacob A Crocker Sr. who came from Dorsetshire, England, one of the original settlers of the region, built this Biscuit Box house, also known as a Salt Box house. The home was built in 1898 and is 
indicative of the traditional fisherman's home.











After the tour of the Crocker home, I went to the Seaside Restaurant and got my first taste of cod tongues and I want to thank Dave for having recommended I try them because I have a new favorite appetizer/meal.

Light, crispy and absolutely delicious are cod tongues!

The restaurant is another tourism must do spot.  Award winning, with magnificent views of the ocean, the staff is friendly and attentive and the prices were affordable - the meal was plentiful!  There is tons of history here too!




Cod Tongues
My meal of Cod Tongues
view from the restaurant
The view from the restaurant

After my wonderful meal I headed off towards the Tablelands Mountains and into Rocky Harbour...

No comments:

Post a Comment